Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Let the Games Begin...

Coming in March of 2012, Katniss Everdeen and her rebellious, strong-willed personality will grace movie screens all over the nation.
 
My excitement.  Since the day I began The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, I knew immediately it was going to be one of those reads where I couldn't put it down.  I'd find myself aching to continue reading the minute I woke, flipping through chapters in between spoonfuls at breakfast, and sometimes catching a paragraph or two at a red light.  How often does a story enthrall you so much you find yourself fighting to jump back into the story at every free chance you get?  This was one of those moments for me.  To see the Reaping and Katniss throw herself at her sister's mercy, the moment she rises up into the arena for the first time, the elaborate costumes Cinna creates, and the ultimate ending to a fictitious story that somehow felt so real.  How can it not be absolutely amazing to see unfold on the big screen?

My concern.  All three books are told in the viewpoint of Katniss; however, what makes these books quite different than your Harry Potter or Bella Swan tales, is the amount of internal thought shared with the readers.  We find ourselves learning about Katniss' past and the moments that led to her becoming the young woman she is today.  We find out her fears, her strengths, her weaknesses, all through her internal thought process, even if her actions contradict her own mind and heart.  While I remember thinking how great a movie would be for this series, I also wondered how they would successfully portray Katniss' character.  In my opinion, a good way to do so would be to have consistent voice over throughout the movie, similar to the way Twilight opens with Bella's introduction.  It should be necessary in parts that call for it, and not included when the scene takes control. 

You can check out the official movie trailer below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fye5Nwe4qeI

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment